The Food Safety Initiative’s (FSI) focus is on advocating for sustainable initiatives, forums, projects and/or programmes within the precincts of Food Safety, Nutrition, Regulatory and related matters for the Consumer Goods Retail and Manufacturing industries. We collaborate closely with relevant national authorities, stakeholders and experts in order to provide objective, independent scientific advice, as well as assistance in relation to related legislation.
As part of our commitment to becoming the leading platform for engagement on food safety, nutrition and related regulatory matters in Southern Africa, FSI is dedicated to promoting the safety, responsible manufacturing, importation, marketing and selling of food and non-alcoholic beverages. We achieve this by providing guidance and expert advice to help our members comply with existing legislation, while actively engaging with regulators and other key stakeholders in order to influence legislation.
Our areas of specialty include Food Safety, Food Legislation and Nutrition and facilitate engagements and collaborations that are non-competitive such as:
- Communications regarding national and international food alerts;
- Providing guidance to assist members in ensuring compliance to existing regulations and related matters;
- Custodianship of the CGCSA-GFSI Global Markets Programme, which the first step towards a single food safety audit system in South Africa;
- Providing thought leadership on matters affecting the industry;
- Providing platforms for engagement between members, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders in order to debate legislation and its impact.
In our role as representatives of our members, we engage frequently with the Department of Health, the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition, the South African Bureau of Standards as well as the National Regulator of Compulsory Specifications. We also facilitate industry initiatives such as Healthy Food Options (HFOII) – an initiative aimed at supporting efforts by the Department of Health to curb the rise of non-communicable diseases (NCD’s); the Food Waste Initiative and the CGCSA-GFSI Global Markets Programme which helps suppliers improve food safety management through a continuous improvement process.