CONSUMER GOODS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA (CGCSA) STATEMENT ON OUTCOME OF ELECTIONS IN SOUTH AFRICA
The Consumer Goods Council of South Africa (CGCSA) congratulates the African National Congress (ANC) led by Mr. Cyril Ramaphosa on winning the national elections held on 8 May 2019. CGCSA looks forward to the announcement of a government committed to credible policy direction to lift South Africa out if its current low economic growth phase.
CGCSA expects the government will among other policy initiatives pay attention to the following:
- Policy overburden and overlap as well as contradictory policy and regulatory objectives
- High crime levels affecting both businesses and citizens
- Increasing armed robberies during social grants pay-outs at the premises of participating retailers
- The crisis at state owned enterprises, particularly at Eskom, whose contingent liabilities and worsening financial crisis now poses a significant risk to the country’s remaining investment credit grade
- Poor service delivery which has resulted in protests, some of which have degenerated into violence and damage to our members’ businesses
- Greater efforts to support small and medium enterprises
- Prosecution of those implicated in corruption
- Reform the civil service so that it is responsive to the needs of business and the people
- Simplify the administrative burden related to the implementation of broad-based economic empowerment
- Improve inefficiency at the Department of Home Affairs to process work permit applications for critical skills needed by multinationals invested in the country
CGCSA also expects ongoing commitment from the President and government to meaningful partnership and consultation with the business sector and other stakeholders to work together to solve national issues.